Sunday, February 6, 2011

Penguins, Pastries, and Protein

Friday night my husband got home from work wanting to go for a run, and invited me along.  How could I turn that down??  So we went for a ~2.45 mile easy jog that took us through the nearby park on packed snow, not so packed snow, and icy paths.  After some recent freezing rain, there was a cool-looking sheen on top of the 12+ inches of snow still on the ground. 

While running through the park, I stopped to see how hard that layer of ice was, and it felt pretty solid.  Next, I decided to see if I could coast across the ice on my belly like a penguin. 

This is what I was going for:
 
{source

Surprisingly, it worked, and I did not break through the ice layer.  But the fronts of my legs were cold after that.  Anyway, it was nice to not run alone!

Saturday became my rest day.

A rest day that involved splitting an almond croissant and a raspberry & current croissant with the mister for breakfast.  Oh and some fresh Florida citrus, courtesy of the in-laws!

100_3727 (1024x561)

When I picked up the breakfast pastries from our local bakery, I was drawn to another item in their case…but it would have to wait until later.

IMG-20110205-00222

Readers, let me introduce you to the Napoleon.  Layers of pastry cream between puff pastry, topped with home made whipped cream.  We split this Saturday night.

Back to that afternoon… after the sugar-rich breakfast we had, I was craving vegetables for lunch.  Lots of them.

I am getting back in to the habit of crafting interesting salads, and I’m lacking inspiration.  So this might be a weird mix, but I just pulled what we had out of the fridge… a Spinach and Arugula mix, then some sprouts, some little broccoli florets, and some garbanzo beans.

100_3691 (1024x768)

Interesting sprout mix that we had not tried before--

IMG-20110124-00125

Actually, I just caught a re-run of The Office where Creed (the old guy) says: “I sprout mung beans on a damp paper towel in my desk drawer. Very nutritious, but they smell like death.”

In addition to veggies, I guess I needed protein, because I glopped on some cottage cheese and some chunk light tuna.

100_3695 (1024x952)

Saturday night, I made a recipe I came across on Fit Sugar a while back. I’ll post on that tomorrow.

Today, I went for my long run.  It was 43 and sunny and perfect for a run!  Still lots of snow on the ground and in the shoulders of the road. 

I’m amazed I didn’t pass more people outside, but I did encounter two friendly people on bikes (separately). They were both bundled up with face masks. The first one said, “Finally, a great day!” as he passed me.

I banged out 8.87 miles at a comfortable pace (and at an average heart rate of 166, I was so proud).

Here was the elevation of today’s run:
orig

And my splits:
long run splits

I walked the last .19 miles for my cool down.

My running/training schedule is going to be a little wonky this week because we made plans to go skiing next weekend (yay!)  I still have to figure out how I’m going to squeeze some of it in over the next 4 days.  I’m off to work on that, and to get ready for work tomorrow.

Anyone know of any great salad toppings or combinations to recommend?  I need some inspiration!

PS,
If you haven’t already, please  take a moment to share your opinions here before this Wednesday.  I want this blog to be as reader-friendly as possible, so I’d love to hear your thoughts on the current format, font, colors, etc.  Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Great job on the run! Looks like you had beautiful weather for it. I'm doing my long run on Sunday next week, which I don't think I have ever done....weird! That dessert looks so amazing, I wish I had been there to share with you guys....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you find it difficult to run with the snow and ice that we have around here? I see some people out but I always worry about slipping on the ice, which has been keeping me off the roads.

    Those sweets sure look good! We are also headed out for skiing this weekend, New Jersey to ski with my SIL and family. We also have citrus from FL courtesy of my inlaws!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your run! Sounds like gorgeous weather! One of my favorite things about outdoor runs is interacting with other folks that are out there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wish you could've gotten a picture of yourself sliding across the ice... sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ice on the sidewalks here is so bad right now, that a person can barely walk safely. Running is completely out of the question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alyssa- thanks, is Saturday your normal long run day? It was a great dessert, this little bakery by us never disappoints!

    Kathy- The snow and ice does make it tough! We have neighborhoods right behind our apartment, so I can find low-traffic roads to run on (since sidewalks are not consistently shoveled). Yesterday was warm though, so a lot of the snow finally began to melt! When there is still snow/ice on the road, it usually means I just run slower. I save the speedwork for the treadmill.

    Sarah- thanks! I get excited to see other people out too, especially in the colder months when there aren't too many people out.

    Kathleen- I do wish one of us had a cell phone on us Friday night!

    Becky- Hopefully you have a nice warm treadmill somewhere where you can run instead? Spring will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete

I don't always get a chance to respond to each comment individually, but I promise I read them all! If you ask a question in the comments, please subscribe to the comment feed so you can see my response, or leave your email address in your comment so I can respond. Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...