Friday, January 7, 2011

Recipe: Stir-Fried Shrimp and Snow Peas with Coconut Curry Sauce

Last night I renewed my gym membership through the end of April, then went to a bootcamp class.  I'm 90% better after my cough/cold from last week, just the tail end of a cough.  I'm feeling better enough that I want to start moving more again!  Which is good, because I'm starting my 12-week half marathon training on Monday (more on that at some point over the weekend). 

This morning I really felt the effects of bootcamp in my upper arms, shoulders, and ab (I like to say ab because I do not have clearly defined abs).  I look forward to the prospect of having any upper body strength, and the soreness in my shoulders and arms has to be a good sign!

After I got home from the gym, I made a recipe from my new cookbook!  Stir-Fried Shrimp and Snow Peas with Coconut Curry Sauce.

Since this is a recipe from a book (not online) I probably should not copy and paste the recipe, but I will post pictures and list the ingredients I used.

I made a coconut curry sauce using light coconut milk, vegetable broth, corn starch, sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, and curry powder.


I began to thaw my frozen shrimp.


I then got to work on the rest of the recipe.  Here are some of my ingredients:



I started boiling the water for the easy Boil-in-Bag brown rice. Then I heated up a skillet with some oil for the frozen veggie mix.  The recipe only called for snow peas and the red pepper, but we had a bag of frozen veggies that needed to be used.  The Hong Kong Stir Fry includes: mushrooms, onions, water chestnuts, snow peas, bean sprouts, broccoli & carrots.  I used the entire 20 oz bag of veggies + a red pepper.

I heated the frozen veggies, added the red pepper, then added a mixture of scallions, garlic and ginger to the pan. Somewhere in there, I took the rice bag out of the sauce pan to drain it.

Meanwhile, my hubby seasoned and cooked the shrimp for me.  The recipe called for a pound; we had about half a pound of shrimp left - so that's all we used.

Then I mixed in the coconut curry sauce in with the veggies, and when the shrimp were done, they were tossed into the mix as well.


Then I served the mixture over the brown rice!



We each had this for dinner last night; and there's enough for 2-3 servings of leftovers in the fridge.  Thumbs up on this one!

Another highlight of yesterday...receiving a sheet of Dunkin Donuts coupons in the mail!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't always get a chance to respond to each comment individually, but I promise I read them all! If you ask a question in the comments, please subscribe to the comment feed so you can see my response, or leave your email address in your comment so I can respond. Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...