Monday, October 25, 2010

Brussels Sprouts!

After work, I ran to the grocery store, then raced the dark clouds home so I could run before it rained.  The forecast had said 90% chance of rain, but as of 10:39pm, it still hasn’t rained.  Oh well.

I went for an easy 2.43 mile run.  I thought I should go easy on my legs since it's only been 2 days since our 30-mile bike ride.  It was 73 degrees at 6pm.

100_2569

73 degrees warrants a tank top.  I wore my Lululemon I Just Wanna Run Tech in pig pink and my Lululemon Fast Short in black.   2.43 miles at a 10:54 pace.  Thanks to some soccer teams practicing in a nearby park, I had the help of some spotlights as the sun had already started to set.  (When did the sun start setting by 6:06pm!?)

For dinner tonight, I made a recipe from Real Simple:  Ravioli with Brussel Sprouts and Bacon.

I have made Brussels Sprouts one other time in my life, and it involved tossing them in some olive oil and spices and roasting them. I feel like the outside leaves got burnt before they were cooked enough.  So I was determined to do a Brussels Sprouts-Do-Over with better results.

photo from realsimple.com

Probably not the healthiest thing, but actually not too awful.  I am sure that my version had less sodium and less fat than the original version due to substituting turkey bacon, finding a lower sodium ravioli, and using more Brussels sprouts than the recipe called for.  Also, my recipe yielded 5 servings, not 4.

Yes, it involved bacon. I used Applewood Smoked Uncured Turkey Bacon from Trader Joes.  I can't find a product page for this, so I will share the nutrition facts.

2 slices = 40 calories, 1.5g of fat, 20mg of cholesterol, 260mg of sodium (low for bacon, anyway), and 5g of protein.

100_2572

Wegmans Frozen Small Round Cheese Ravioli -

100_2575

Brussels Sprouts and Pecans:
Brussels sprouts are a good source of fiber, vitamin C, and folate.  Pecans are tasty.

100_2576

A sprinkle of cheese on top (I had Pecorino Romano) – While the recipe called for cheese, it probably wasn’t necessary due to the cheese in the ravioli.

100_2578

Plenty more left for a couple more meals.

100_2579

Thumbs up on the recipe, and the hubby seemed to like it too.  Had enough to pack up 3 lunch-sized pyrex containers for later meals.

And a Flying Fish Oktoberfest.  There's only 6 more days of October, after all!

100_2580

8 comments:

  1. Your tank is so cute! I can't believe that it's still in the 70's and it's nearly November. I have so say that brussel sprouts are one of my favorite vegetables...I think I could eat them every night and be happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish i could run in shorts that short but i they make me feel so self conscience. have you tried steaming the brussel sprouts a bit before cutting them in half and then roasting or pan cooking them? my favorite way to eat them is with a ton of mustard and onion in kind of like a stir-fry. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nicole- thanks! Yeah, not sure what's up with the weather here. It's supposed to be in the low to mid 70s for the next couple days before cooling off again. I am finding I like brussel sprouts! Never had them as a kid. I think my dad liked them, but since my mom did not - she never made them for dinner :-p

    @Kathleen- Those shorts are as short as I can go! They are super comfortable though, the waist band doesn't dig in, they don't ride up, and I don't even feel them while I am running. I will have to try to steam brussel sprouts first, the next time I roast them. They were pan-cooked this time around, and they were pretty good! I like your mustard and onion suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my run fast shorts, I wish I had 7 pairs for every day. I need 3.5 miles (on the treadmill, eww) in them this afternoon and the waistband is so soft I hate putting my speed shorts on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog! I had to check yours out when I saw the title, and now I'm following you :) You asked about the pace of the lululemon run -- they kept it at around a 10 minute pace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That top is super cute, seeing your pic inspired me to get one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diamonds-and-Lace-- I liked my first one so much I sought out a second. It's very comfortable and lightweight. I wore the blue version for my half marathon last month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ojodeazul- I agree, I like the Run Fast shorts a lot better than this year's Speed Shorts.

    @JavaJoggers- Thanks for following! And thanks for responding about the lululemon group run. I wonder if they'll continue it into November? If they are, I'm available to do it not this week, but the next. I'll have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete

I don't always get a chance to respond to each comment individually, but I promise I read them all! If you ask a question in the comments, please subscribe to the comment feed so you can see my response, or leave your email address in your comment so I can respond. Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...