Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hemp Seed, Take 2

I tried Hemp Seed in my smoothie again yesterday morning.

This smoothie was after a 6.38 mile run which started in the upper 70s and warmed up to 80s temps and 80+ % humidity. Yuck!

Anyway, this was kind of improvised, with my main intention being to add a little more hemp seed. As I mentioned in my previous hemp seed smoothie post, I wanted to add some yogurt so it would be more filling. So I added some 2% plain greek yogurt:


I had already drank coconut water immediately following my run, so I didn't put it in this smoothie. Instead, I threw in some OJ so that I had a little more liquid to work with while blending. As it was late morning when I made this, this sort of served as my lunch to tie me over until I had something light in the early afternoon.

Ingredients:
  • 1 banana
  • 5 strawberries
  • ~3-4 ounces of Fage 2% Greek Yogurt
  • 2 tbsp Hemp Seed
  • a splash of Low Acid Tropicana Orange Juice (3 ounces?)
  • 5 spoonfuls of frozen pomegranate seeds (Trader Joes)
I guess you can tell this one looks creamier than the one from earlier this week.
This was also good (I can't say I've had a bad one yet, I guess I've always tasted along the way and added something if it needed it). Couldn't necessarily pick out the hemp seed taste. Still getting used to pomegranate seeds too. You're supposed to be able to chew them, and it's kind of a weird consistency to get used to. I think my immersion blender broke them up a bit, but I still had some seeds to chew toward the end.

Here is the nutrition info:

Definitely more calories and fat than the last one. The main source of fat here would be the hemp seed and the 4 ounces of 2% greek yogurt. Fat free greek yogurt is also available. I may pick up some of the fat free to have on hand for smoothies - I like a little bit of fat in it when I am eating it on its own or with a little honey.

This smoothie has nearly 4x the amount of protein (thanks greek yogurt!) and a couple extra grams of fiber due to the pomegranate seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't always get a chance to respond to each comment individually, but I promise I read them all! If you ask a question in the comments, please subscribe to the comment feed so you can see my response, or leave your email address in your comment so I can respond. Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...