Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Recipe: Olive Oil Pasta with Walnuts, Lentils & Red Peppers

Monday was an unplanned rest day because my gym = a university gym, and because it's spring break this week, there was no spinning on Monday.

I thought about running, but I got stuck at work for about an hour and a half later than I had planned.  Then I had to swing by the grocery store on my way home, then I made dinner.  Suddenly it was 8:00!  I did approximately 100 crunches on the living room floor so I wasn't completely lazy.

Dinner was a recipe from the blog Oh She Glows: Olive Oil Pasta with Walnuts, Lentils, and Red Peppers.

Here are the ingredients for a large serving, check out her blog post linked above for the cooking instructions:
  • 1 serving (3oz) spaghetti (I used Kamut pasta)
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, dry toasted
  • 1/2 cup + 1-2 tbsp medium heat salsa (I used Simply Natural brand)
  • 1.5-2 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
  • 2-2.5 tbsp nutritional yeast (gives it a creaminess)
  • 1-1.5 tbsp ketchup
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil (fresh would be lovely!)
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • Pinch red pepper flakes
  • 1/4-1/2 cup chopped red pepper (optional)
  • 1/2 cup spinach
  • 1/3 cup cooked lentils
My modifications:
-No idea what kamut pasta is.  I used whole wheat spaghetti.
-Couldn't find nutritional yeast at my store, and I'm not vegan, so I found an asiago cheese described as having a nutty flavor to substitute.
-I skipped the ketchup because we don't own any, minus a couple packets from take out food.
-I multiplied the recipe by about 4 so we'd have leftovers.  And we've each had 2 meals out of it...with more left in the fridge.
-I added 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes...holy hotness. Husband loves it; I need a large glass of water.
-I didn't have pre-cooked lentils, so that added to the prep time.  I think I had this whole thing ready in about 45 minutes.


It was a pretty good protein-packed pasta dish.  Husband gave it a thumbs up too.

Here are some photos from the process.









Finished Product
(I don't know why the spacing is off, I tried to but cannot fix it).

I think Daylight Savings time is evil!  It is making it harder for me to leave work on time, because it's still so bright out, so I think it can't *possibly* be time to leave work yet.

Today I stayed at work later too, because a meeting ran way longer than expected, but at least I didn't have to go to the grocery store, and dinner tonight was leftovers from last night.  So after work I got in a 5.5 mile easy run...in daylight.  Amazing!

Wednesday I'm planning to do some kind of speed work, then make some fabulous St. Patty's Day-colored baked goodies to bring into work on Thursday.  I'm helping it will improve the tone of my Thursday meetings :)  I'll share the recipe & pics after I make them!

How are you adjusting to Daylight Savings Time??

4 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I think I need to revisit lentils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So i just had to tell you i got some run dash crops but they are more like run dash pants, do you find this? I remember we are close to the same height! Either way i love them!
    And your dinner looks fab, thought i posted that when you put it up but i'm blonde so that really explains it all :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teamarcia- I like lentils a lot! They are so cheap and so filling.

    Travelbug- I do find the Dash Crops are longer...try searching "dash crop" on my blog, you should be able to see a couple pictures of them on me. Probably only about 2" between the crop and my socks. While the waist band is high (my husbands refers to these crops as my spanx), the waist stays in place perfectly and I love the reflective strips on the calves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you did here was a splendid modification of the original recipe. I wonder what Ms. Liddon would say about it. Whenever I think of olive oil in a recipe, I think of Mediterranean. Hearty goodness. Hmm, you like your pasta spicy?

    ReplyDelete

I don't always get a chance to respond to each comment individually, but I promise I read them all! If you ask a question in the comments, please subscribe to the comment feed so you can see my response, or leave your email address in your comment so I can respond. Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...