Carrot Cake Muffin recipe from the NY Times. Recipe found here.
- Didn't have turbinado sugar, so used regular brown sugar (is turbinado just courser?)
- Apparently we've been hitting the cinnamon a little too hard, because I only had 1.5 tsp left, even with trying to tap out the last little specks of cinnamon from the shaker. So I came up 1/2 tsp short on the cinnamon.
- Used golden raisins, not pecans.
- Didn't have buttermilk. Found substitute using milk + lemon juice.
- I ended up with 18 muffins, not 12. I would say each muffin hole in our muffin tin is about 2" across.
The recipe was mostly easy, except for the part where we didn't have pre-shredded carrots on hand. I wasted far too much time trying to shred baby carrots over a grater. 1/2 cup's worth. Then realized I could throw those baby carrots into our food processor instead.
They're not so bad for you either (and with 18 muffins from the same recipe, that makes my muffins more like 160 calories a piece):
Nutritional information per muffin (based on 12-muffin yield):
1 gram saturated fat;
2 grams polyunsaturated fat;
4 grams monounsaturated fat;
32 milligrams cholesterol;
38 grams carbohydrates;
4 grams dietary fiber;
323 milligrams sodium;
5 grams protein.
Do you like muffins?
What's your favorite kind of muffin?
Running Warehouse on Facebook is advertising that they are selling select winter stuff at an additional 20% off through the weekend. See here.
I am not affiliated with RW, I just appreciate a good sale. I picked up my first pair of winter running tights at my local running store way discounted at the end of season. It's a good time to buy stuff!