Friday, April 1, 2011

Recipe: Red Quinoa-Avocado Salad + Recap: Training Week 12.

I made this Red Quinoa-Avocado Salad the other night after seeing it in my Wegmans Menu magazine.  It was easy-peasy.

1 pkg (7 oz)  Red Quinoa, cooked per pkg directions, chilled
1 pkg (12 oz) Just Picked and Quickly Frozen Super-Sweet Corn, thawed
1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup green onions, thinly sliced on the bias
2 plum tomatoes, 1/4-inch dice (about 1 cup)
2 avocados, peeled, pitted, cubed small
1/2 cup  Lemon Vinaigrette
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper


There's not much to report in the way of process-photos because I basically just precooked some red quinoa, then mixed that in a giant bowl with all the other ingredients.

My modifications:
  • Didn't add any salt.  Didn't think it needed it.
  • I used more like 2/3c. green onions, not 1 cup. I think that was plenty of onion taste.
Note: This makes a ton! 10 - 1 cup servings according to the magazine.

While I think this is meant to be a side dish, it is very filling.  I had this for a lighter dinner one night with half a bagel.  I also had it for lunch two days this week.  I will add this recipe to my repeat list, but could probably even cut back more on the green onions.  Depends on how much onion you like.

Week 12 Recap...

Training Plan:

12 
3/28-4/3 
Spin 
+abs 
4 mi 
easy 
30 min 
tempo 
Boot  
Camp 
Rest 
Rest 
Half! 
13.1 mi 

What I did:
Monday 3/28: 1 hour of spinning
Tuesday 3/29Easy Run = 4.80 miles+ 150 crunches
Wednesday 3/30: 30 minute tempo run = 3.03 miles + 150 crunches
Thursday 3/31: 1 hr of Bootcamp: usual core stuff, plus lots of leg stuff (uh oh) like lots of squats and lunges- on the ground, on the stepper, and an the bosu ball.  Some wall sits. Not so much of the arm/chest stuff.
Friday 4/1: Rest Day; Ate half of peanut butter cup brownie.



Saturday: Rest Day (Expo/Packet Pick up!)
Sunday: Bucks County Half Marathon.  Currently Sunday is the little ray of sunshine in an otherwise rainy forecast:

 Anyone have fun weekend plans?

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on Sunday! Hope it stays dry for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe sound good. Thanks for sharing it. Good Luck on your half on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both!
    Penny - it was good, but that recipe made A TON. If I made it again (for just the two of us), I'd halve the recipe. If you make it as listed, make sure there are many mouths to feed!

    ReplyDelete

I don't always get a chance to respond to each comment individually, but I promise I read them all! If you ask a question in the comments, please subscribe to the comment feed so you can see my response, or leave your email address in your comment so I can respond. Thanks for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...